Saturday, December 24, 2005

Pullin' the plug

After doing a couple of hypertrophy workouts, I've made a big decision. I'm pulling the plug on this hypertrophy stuff... not because I don't believe it will work, or because it's too painful. Granted, it IS painful but that's not the reason why. Just like everyone said, I was uber sore after the initial heavy day, and that first ride was tough. I struggled to get my HR up into the proper zone. At this stage I can't afford to miss too much riding/training time. I'll substitute some other weight program, and try this hypertrophy thing before next season.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go lick my wounds.

3 comments:

Ashwin Amanna said...

sorry to hear about the hypertrophy. Did you do several week of transition lifting to minimize the soreness? In following the Morris plan for the past 3 years I've had no major soreness during any of the phases. Fatigue yes, but not that debilitating tender to the touch sorness. Except the first day of the transition lifting. Even though I was only doing granny weights.

It's still a huge debate over strength training vs doing power workouts on the bike and the time lost for aerobic conditioning to the gym time.

But the strength training (as long as it is an integrated part of an overall plan) seems to work for me.

Good luck this year.

Ashwin Amanna said...

oh also I just don't ride much at all during Hyp phase. Even in strength phase it has to be easy riding. After strength then riding intensity increases a lot.

Sean said...

I've been lifting for ages, but I did do some prep work before going into hypertrophy. I knew that riding was not gonna be good during that time frame, but I just didn't know it'd be that bad. I certainly believe in the validity of the program, I think I just started it too late. As I mentioned in my blog, I'll know better next time.