Saturday, July 21, 2007

US National Mudfest

My pre-ride on Thursday was messy, to say the least, but it was nothing compared to race day. On paper, conditions should've improved. The rain had stopped in the wee hours of Friday morning, and the sun came out. Unfortunately, this made the course even nastier. Thursday, the mud wasn't too much worse than dirty water, but Friday the mud was the consistency of peanut butter.


The fire road climbs were the only sections that benefited from the sun coming out. Even then there were a couple sections that the steepness combined with the mud meant that you were "hike-a-biking" it.


I probably spent 20 or so minutes per lap walking/running my bike. Thank God the organizers reduced our race down to 2 laps...I could not imagine doing that course (in that condition) 3 times, or even the original 4.



My race didn't go as I had envisioned it. Not 50 ft from the line I go down...right in front of LOTS of people. My drivetrain locked up. My chain hung up or something and I came to a stop as if I had grabbed my brakes. Actually, it was the second time it happened within 50ft, but the first time I was able to keep moving and get the chain freed/unhooked. I get up and check my bike over, and I don't SEE anything wrong. No visible chainsuck or anything, so I hop back on the bike and try and catch back on to the group that is almost a minute ahead of me.


I try not to panic and up my pace so high that I crack, but I still manage to reel a few people in on the climb. Thru the first "techniclimb"(credit for that term goes to Adam Craig) and I'm like WTF? Why am I all over the place? I had been so focused on my drivetrain when I fell, and subsequently trying to catch my competitors that I failed to notice that I'd jacked up my handlebars, and they were crooked. I stop and have to use my multitool to get my handlebars straight. Meanwhile, guys are going past me. Dammit! I get going again, but by this time my HR is not where I'd want it to be...all the drama has me all flustered. Gotta calm down and focus on the race. Just pretend like all this crap didn't happen.



At every climb I catch riders, so I'm doing pretty good. Something that will haunt me thru the entire race though is some overly worn cleats. I either had trouble clipping in, or my foot coming unclipped...always at inopportune moments. I knew they were worn before the race and I had a spare set, but I didn't want to change them out last minute and risk positioning them wrong and causing me some knee pain or somethin'. In retrospect I should've put them on. It was frustrating, because I was doing really well at riding the techy stuff, but if I had to hop off for whatever reason and then I wanted to hop back on, and clip in while moving. Try bobbing over rocks and roots trying to clip in and not bust your ass. I was constantly stopping and starting because of it.


The mud was really taking its toll. Riding, walking, it all sapped the energy out of you. The mud was so thick and sticky in places that I almost walked out of my shoes on several occasions. I make it thru the first lap more or less unscathed, but I have no idea where I am in the standings.
The second lap is a carbon copy of the first lap, without falling in the starting chute. The final insult added to the injury was some cramping. I could pedal without cramping...only the hardest low cadence efforts brought on the twinges of pain. It was the walking that really hurt, and of course there were places I had to walk.
The cramps subside with about 10-15 minutes to go and provides me with the opportunity to drop the hammer as I head for the finish line.

Even with all the drama I finished 18th out of 29 riders. What I am most pleased about is how well I rode the technical stuff. Many of the techy descents I was just bombing down them. Two weeks ago if I had seen pictures of the technical areas I would've said I'd be walking them...no way would I ride that stuff.

It was a hard race, but I'm glad I did it, as it ended up being a personal victory. Who knows how well I would've placed if it weren't for all those annoyances.

I have pictures from the weekend, and I'll post them when I get a chance.

No comments: