Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mmm, lactate

Tried those lactate clearance reps again. I tried a different line of attack this time, and conducted them on the trainer. I thought that maybe I might fare better under more controlled circumstances...ie, no hills, headwind/tailwind to contend with. While I didn't get my wattage where I really wanted it, I think I have to call the workout a success. My numbers were all within 10% of my range, so it was a good effort. They hurt, but they were good.
I think one of the problems I incurred on my first attempt was that I went out way too hard. I was hitting initial peaks of 600+ watts, and for such a short violent effort, it was too much with too little recovery. If I'm to do these outdoors I need to not throttle it in the opening seconds.

On a different note, as of yesterday I have logged 5000 miles for the year. What a step up from last year. I logged just over 4200 miles all last year. The difference in mileage is quite evident in my fitness and overall ability.

No comments: