Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Just over a week to go

Today I found out some more details on my race on the 18th. The course is 6.5miles, but we'll be doing 2 laps, for a grand total of 13.20miles. Looking at results from last year...the fella who won maintained an average of speed of 11.76mph. I started thinking that if I could shoot for an average of 11.5mph, I stand a good chance of getting on the podium.

I'll admit that after reading those race results I started getting some anxiety. So, this afternoon I got out on the trail, to hopefully dispel some of my anxiety. I can say that I do feel much better now. I'm gonna map out a 13.20mile course, but for today I did 8.83 miles and maintained an average of 12.3mph. My HR monitor showed an average HR of 165, max 181...so based on that, I had a little bit left in me that I could've used for an attack, or a final sprint. I really think that 11.5mph avg during the race is doable for me. Now I just have to make sure I can get enough time on the course to be comfortable enough with it to be able to squeeze every drop of speed out I can.

No comments: