Monday, October 31, 2005

All thats left is for the dust to settle

The 12Hrs of Pine Log has come and gone. As of Monday the 31st, I am still trying to recover. I used my laptop and jotted down some notes from each of my laps. I figured if I waited till the race was over I'd not remember most of the details.

So, here are some of my ramblings from the race.


Lap 1

Lap time: 29 min and change (close to 30 min. I forgot to reset my computer)
avg spd: 12.6mph
Mx spd: 19.7mph
Distance: 6.71

Avg HR: 161
Max HR: 188

I started the race for Team Pine Dogs, and the race began with all starting riders having to take off their front and rear wheels, and then putting them on before the race started...talk about a pain in the ass. I would’ve preferred the LeMans start.

The first lap went fairly well. I think nervousness had me, as my lap time was off from the race a few weeks earlier. I got passed by a guy whom I think is a solo rider. This guy was flying. I thought I was draggin' an anchor or somethin'. I think he's gonna blow up before it's over with.
I rode solid. Not great, but good. I think the next lap will go much better.


Lap 2

Lap time: 28:39
avg spd: 14mph
Mx spd: 20mph
Distance: 6.71

Avg HR:175
Max HR: 192

This second lap went much better. I think the wheel changing thing really messed me up...psyched me out if you will. Sophie and I changed up flawlessly, and I was off. I was riding really strong, felt good. About a third of the way in I caught and passed one of the other team riders, from Robin’s Fitness. I would pass 2 more riders before the lap was over. A 4th rider, a soloist, I caught up with right at the end...another 100ft and I could’ve passed him.This was the guy who passed me on the first lap. This doesn't bode well for him.

All in all a good lap.Hopefully I can keep these times going till the night portion.


Lap 3

Lap time: 28:44
Avg spd: 13.8mph
Max spd: 19.6mph
Distance:6.70

Avg HR: 174
Max HR: 189

The third lap went pretty good. I was a tiny bit off my lap two pace... but if I can keep my laps around the 28:30-29 min mark I’ll feel good. The field has really spread out, and you only occasionally come across other riders. I passed two riders this lap, including a boy of about 10 or 11 who was on the trail taking a leak...when you gotta go, you gotta go. I laughed over that one for a few minutes

The fastest teams, unless they have some sort of mechanical issue, will not be caught. There are some expert caliber riders on those teams. We’re about 15 or 16 minutes ahead of Team Possum...W00t! Before the race is over, we should be able to lap them. [Insert evil laugh here]


Lap 4

Lap time: 28:58
Avg spd: 13.8mph
Mx spd: 19.9mph
Distance: 6.71

Avg HR: 164
Max HR: 173

I felt pretty good on this lap, but I could feel my legs are starting to get heavy. Despite that, I still managed to pass Pat, Trudy, and in a last second move into the transition area, a rider from the strong Robin’s Cycle team. I’m thrilled to have passed Pat...now if we can pass a possum!

Next lap will be with lights...here goes nothin’.


Lap 5

Lap time: 31:08
Avg spd: 12.8mph
Max spd: 19.1
Distance: 6.71

Avg HR: 158
Max HR: 168

This was the first of the night laps, and the HID light worked well. The only problem is my legs, they’re just not responding now. My HR is low, but I just don’t have the power to sustain the effort. As a result I went over a 30 min lap time for the first time all day. That said, I still managed to pass someone, and didn't get passed... so it’s all good.
I think we’re within striking range of Team Possum...Hooyah!


Lap 6

Lap time: 31:01
Avg spd: 12.9mph
Mx spd: 18.9
Distance: 6.71

Avg HR: 157
Max HR: 167

This was it, the last lap. I had one goal, and that was to lap Team Possum...I did that, and gave Dave a 45 second lead in his last lap. My legs are shot right now, and my eyes are bloodshot from all the crap in the air. Gonna need some Visine when I get home

I had a great time!

That was my lap by lap account of the race. The reports got shorter as the race dragged on. My HR kept dropping and dropping, but my lap times increased. The engine was willing, but the legs were toast.

Our team did well. Our laps times stayed fairly consistent throughout the race, which was excellent. FYI, that solo rider that flew passed me on the first lap called it quits by the late afternoon. He and his buddy packed up their crap and left. I had a feeling he wouldn't make it through the event keeping a pace like that first lap. I also heard that one of the teams packed it in too.


Ride time: 2hrs 57 minutes
Miles ridden: 40.2
Avg spd: 13 mph (approximately)

I have some pictures, but I'll post those at a later time. Still trying to get myself together.

No comments: