Monday, October 10, 2005

Engine work

I finally got some slicks on my mtn bike, and did my first road ride today. The Giant HT is being used for road/trainer duty, and man did it feel weird riding it. All that time on FS and I had forgotten what a HT felt like.

The ride was pretty uneventful. I did an hour of what Chris Carmichael calls, "foundation miles". The object was to do the ride at 89% of my field test HR. The ceiling for this ride was 151bpm. A couple of times my HR got over 150, but for the bulk of the ride I kept it in the 140s. As a matter of fact, my avg HR for the ride was 143, with a max of 158. As long as I kept my HR under that ceiling for 90% of the ride then I was doing the exercise correctly.


The "foundation miles" are going to build my aerobic engine. By the end of January my aerobic capacity should be in top form.


Ride time: 1hr 4min
Mileage: 18.8
Avg spd: 18mph
Max spd: 29.1mph

No comments: