Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Eight Legged Freaks

Today was due to be my 2hr ride day. The remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy came thru this morning, and I wasn't certain I'd be riding...but it cleared off nicely, so out I went. That's where the good news stops. It went downhill from there. Since it had been raining this morning, I was the first one out on the trails. With no one out there, the local wildlife was out in force. I'm refering to the species known as arachnid...the Golden Orb Spider to be specific. These insidious little critters are some serious web builders, and guess where they build those webs? That's correct, right in the trail, and damn near eye level.


Riding in the shade of the woods, you don't see the damned things till you're like a foot away, and if you're moving along at a good clip, you're gonna run right into the web before you can stop.
Let me tell ya, having to stop and clear webs/spiders off your person screws up your riding tempo. I "cleared" one loop, so I decided in the interest of a decent workout that I'd just keep repeating that loop. By that time though the damage was done, I was off my pace and I wasn't in my groove. So, after 1hr and 10 miles I said "the hell with it." I'll try again tomorrow.

If it's not rain, it's spiders...I swear.

No comments: