Saturday, July 02, 2005

Groove

Chalk up another 20 miles today. That's two long rides, for a total of 50 miles this week. In just over a month and a half, I've put 200+ miles on the new bike. All this mileage should start paying off soon...especially now that I'm doing these longer rides on a regular basis.

On a related note...
We're in the midst of summer here in Florida, and a cool ride means temperatures in the upper 80's. 90+ degrees is the norm (I sure hope we don't see any 100s, but that's another story). In times past, despite having a CamelBak filled with 60-70 oz of water, I'd come home from a ride and develop a headache within a couple of hours (as long as I can remember heat gave me a headache). Well, lately I've changed some things. First off, I read how you can drink too much water, and that the human body can not replace fluids at the same rate you lose it (which makes sense if you think about it). The article went on to say that depending on your size, you can only use about 20-30 oz of water per hour. So, I started using a drink mix in a 20 oz water bottle, and then carrying maybe 25-30 oz in my CamelBak as a backup. The next thing was the drink mix I was using. I got a free sample of Powerbar Endurance mix, and I tried it and liked it, so I bought a big ole container of it. I've been using it for the last month or so.
Now, I'm not sure if it was the amount of liquid I was drinking, the drink mix, or a combination, but it has done wonders for me in this heat. I would almost go so far as to say that the heat has not been an issue as a result.

I can highly recommend Powerbar's Endurance mix. It's not nasty tasting...trust me.

1 comment:

Powerbar Senn said...

Thanks for sharing your story.
You guys in the US seems to have a whole different Powerbar productline as we in Europe.