Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Spin to win

Since I started riding, my bike handling skills have gotten progressively better. Getting in shape has helped the most. I would say that my bike handling skills are...better than average- not too shabby, but there is room for improvement. But the one thing that I've been focusing on as of late, is my pedaling. I think I'm doing pretty well with my pedal stroke. The one thing that has taken some work, or at least in need of constant reminding, is my pedal cadence. I have always tried turning a bigger gear...I think due in no small part that my legs kept giving out after a while. I now have the leg strength and lung strength to keep pedaling at a higher cadence for a sustained period of time.
The case for turning higher rpms via a high cadence is compelling. In the same gear, going from 60rpm to 120rpms will double your speed. The less gear changing you do, the better off you are. On my ride today, I really concentrated on turning a gear that would enable me to get a higher cadence. I found out that it really works. By picking a gear that enabled me to spin at a higher cadence, I averaged a very respectable 11.2mph, while at the same time, allowing my HR to average around 144bpm with a max of 177bpm.
I just gotta keep practicing it, or focus on doing it I should say.

No pics today. Camera batteries died. That was a lame-o excuse, I know...but it's all I could come up with on short notice.

No comments: