Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Gettin' technical

On Monday I took delivery of a heart rate monitor. I figured it was important to get one, so I could monitor the intensity of my workouts- make sure I'm getting the most out of my training. I already know what you're thinking... I'm turning into one of those fitness/cycling geeks. Well... maybe I am. It sure as hell beats the alternative.
I saw a picture of myself from a year ago, and I can safely say that I like where I'm at, or where I'm going, compared to where I was at a year ago.

Anyway, back to the HR monitor. I got a real snazzy version. A Polar S725. It does just about everything except make coffee. I've still got a few bugs to work out to get the most out of it, but what little I've used it so far, I'm diggin' it.

I did the fitness test and found out I was in better shape than I was thinking, so that made me happy. But... the max HR estimation is off, by how much I'm not sure.
The test indicated I have a max HR of 184. Well, today I got some riding in, and decided to use my monitor. While on Carbo I glanced down at my monitor, and the HR surprised me. It read 183. Now, I'm no expert when it comes to heart rates and the like, but since at that moment I was not doing a max effort, AND my heart wasn't about to pound right out of my chest, I think it's safe to say that 184 is NOT my max HR. The intensity I was riding at was a pretty decent tempo, but it was one I could sustain for quite a while, and overall I was feeling pretty good, so there is no way that I could've been at 183bpm and my max HR be 184...just not possible.
I have a test I can do, that will give me a good idea of my true max HR. I'll most likely do it tomorrow. Other than that one issue though, I'm glad I took the plunge into the world of HR monitors.


If you've read this far...I'm impressed. I'm rattling on about a heart rate monitor, and you read the whole damn thing!;)

No comments: