Saturday, August 13, 2005

Stan's Notubes verdict: Part 1

I'm currently in the processing of "Stansing" up my back tire, and I havea few thoughts on the whole process. It's a pain in the ass. Ok, I have a bit more to offer than that... As with the first tire, everything up to the actual sealing of the tire went smoothly. These Kenda's were not easy, and did not seal up as fast as Stan's website, and other people's experiences indicate. I've read where people had their wheels good to go in 30 minutes or so. Must be nice. This back tire has sealed up faster than the first one, so that's good.

If you go into the process not expecting it to take 30 minutes or so, then you'll be ok. I'll also offer up a little tip of my own. In the instructions it says that as soon as you've got the sealant in the tire, pump it up to 35-40psi. What it doesn't tell you is to make sure it stays at that pressure while you're getting the tire sealed. Take the wheel I'm working on right now. I had pumped it up to 40psi and began the sealing process. There were several holes that resulted in the air pressure dropping significantly before the sealant stabilized the pressure somewhat. I continued with the sealing and finally got the leaks sealed, and decided I'd pump up the tire to the proper pressure, soap the bead once more and remount the tire. I pumped up the tire to 40psi and guess what? I had a ton of leaks around the bead. It happened on the first tire but I didn't give it much thought at that time. Oh well, lesson learned...the hard way.

Part 2 will be posted when I get this tire done and get out and ride some. Which, weather permitting, will happen between today and tomorrow.

No comments: