Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Tubes? I don't need no stinking tubes!

I've finally made the conversion to tubeless tires...well, partially. The front tire is tubeless. I'm gonna see how it performs before I convert the rear tire. Not long after getting the new bike, I bought a tubeless conversion kit. A couple days ago I decided to start the process of converting to tubeless, mainly for my upcoming race. If you get a flat in a race, you're pretty much through unless it is a 12 or 24hr event. I figure if I can reduce the risk of flatting(from thorns, snakebites, etc) then that will be one less thing I have to concern myself with during the race.

Most of the process went fairly easy. Drilling the stem hole larger, installing the rim tape, it all went without to much fussing and fuming from me.

Time to put the sealant in the tire.
And this is where my troubles began...

Well, I am dramatizing things a bit. The sealant went in just fine, and the tire inflated. Sealing the leaks is where I was having trouble. I followed the instructions, but the damn tire bead on one side wouldn't seal completely.

See all those white spots around where the tire meets the rim?
Why wasnt it as easy as the demo video on the notubes website?

In the end, it took a day and a half to get the tire to seal. I'm hoping the performance makes up for the trouble. If it doesn't work like it should then I'm pulling it and sticking with tubes. I will be riding this afternoon, so we'll see.


No comments: