Saturday, September 30, 2006

With all these miles, I could've ridden someplace interesting

Well, I've had the TCR for two months now, and it's seen some serious use. As of today I've logged 900 miles on it. In that time, I have replaced the saddle, got some new pedals, and switched out tires. The pedals and tires are winners, but the jury is still out on the saddle. I'm headed in the right direction with the overall design of the saddle, but on longer rides my rear is telling me I could use a bit more padding. I'm gonna give it another couple hundred miles before I commit to changing it out.

I'm still quite pleased with the TCR C3. It's stiff, and responsive. The Shimano 105 and Ultegra components work like a dream. I can't imagine Dura Ace working THAT much better...at least enough to warrant the price difference. My opinion of the brakes hasn't changed any, as I've not been in a situation (steep descent) to really see how they work under a big load. The only part of the bike that I'm not overwhelmed by is the wheels. The Xero XSR-3s are heavy (over 2000grams), and they do not spin well (if you give them a spin with your hand it won't take long before they come to an abrupt stop, as if your brakes are rubbing.). To their credit, they are strong. In 900 miles they are still rolling straight and true.

If things go my way, my next addition to the bike will be one of these.
I have a lead on a good price on one, so if I'm lucky I'll be able to score one. Using it will help me to take my training to the next level. I'm not gonna say anymore about it until I have confirmation... I don't wanna jinx it.

No comments: