Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sitting pretty

I got my new saddle, and I've got a couple rides on it. Originally, I was gonna go with the Selle Italia SLK, but I've since opted for the Selle Italia Signo Gelflow. I'm very pleased with my selection. I know that the real tests will come with longer rides, but at the moment my hind parts are most thankful for the new perch. The Signo has an ingenious system whereby the sides/tail flex under pedaling forces, which gives a cushioning effect to the rider. Some people don't like the feel of that system, but it works for me.
The Signo is a perfect example of "less is more", at least in my case. As the pictures show, it is a minimalist saddle compared to the Aliante Sport that did grace (or curse, depending on how you look at it) the TCR. I've learned that my caboose prefers a flatter, more firm saddle.

The idea of the cutout is one of the best the saddle industry ever came up with!



Dang near 'board flat'. Just the way I like it.


I should be testing out the saddle on a longer ride tomorrow...we'll see.
Today I finally was able to participate in the local club TT. It's a 10 mile course, which is mostly flat, just a couple of hills to keep things interesting. This monthly TT is for fun, but seeing some of the rigs that people were using, you'd think it was a stage of the TdF, or the Giro d' Italia. Aero helmets, rear disc wheels, uber expensive frames (Cervelo TT frame was a standout), you name it. The legs felt good, so I gave it my all. I completed the course in 26:22, with an average speed around 22.8mph. Not too bad for a noob roadie.


No comments: