Thursday, August 31, 2006

Motivation and Lollipops

Athletes are always looking for that "edge" that will enable them to train/compete harder, faster, longer. Some turn to man made alternatives, but for everyone else it is a continuous struggle to find that extra motivation deep down inside.

Well, I found some motivation today... there's nothing like a rain storm, complete with lightning, to
give you that added 'oomph'. I was about 10 miles out when I saw the impending storm approaching, and I made it 4 miles before the rain proceeded to wail on me. That was bad enough that I was trying my best to get back to the car in a hurry, but when the lightning started I kicked it into overdrive. For that last 6 miles I was turnin' 85rpm at 50x12. My avg speed for the whole 20 miles was 22.6mph. Two weeks ago during the monthly TT I only averaged 22.8mph, and that was a 10 mile round trip!
The threat of electrocution sure can light a fire in the ole legs.

Today I got my new shoes and pedals. The Speedplay Zero pedals are pretty nice, even if they do look like a lollipop. In an interesting twist, most of the mechanism for clipping in and out is in the cleat, so the pedal doesn't have a lot to it.

Mmm, lollipop.


The shop recommended that I go home and get familiar with clipping in and out, but I wasn't having any of it. I'll get on the job training. They require a bit different method (instead of clipping in toe-heel, you use the ball of your foot and go straight down.) for clipping in than my old Eggbeaters, but nothing that is gonna require a big learning curve. The jury is still out on the new pedals, but my initial experience is good. I think I'm going to like them a lot. For mtn biking, nothing beats eggbeaters, but for the road bike the Speedplays are more to my liking.

That is one serious cleat design there!


Last but not least, when I go to Vegas next week I'm going to take my road bike. I'll be able to get some training time in a place with some real elevation changes, and not the bumps we have here. I'd normally take my mtn bike, but I don't want to risk damaging something on it, because I'll be tight on time when I get back...I'll have a day and a half before I have to be in Reddick for my race.





No comments: