Monday, October 09, 2006

Season in review

My season started back in April and so it has been a long one. While I didn't do a lot of racing during the season, I was doing a lot of training. I won some races, and I learned a lot about race strategy. As a matter of fact, learning race strategy is exactly why I didn't move up to Sport after winning a race. The strategy will come in handy for the more experienced classes that I'll be competing in next year.
I learned that I do well when the course goes up, and I learned that on flatter courses I have to get a very good start...even if I have to redline myself to do it.
This is something I was thinking about last night, and this morning even. Yesterday I said I'd rather risk a mediocre start(for times that I don't get on the front row) than tangle and go down at the start. Upon reflection, I think it is better to adopt a "no guts, no glory" attitude towards starts. Just don't settle for anything less than a good position when entering the trail. If it isn't a mountain course, then you need to be prepared to go in the red and get yourself into the top 5 at the start. When training for next season starts you can bet that 'starts' will be something that I will be working on.

The 2006 season had the highest of highs, and some pretty low 'lows'. I think I made a wise decision to pull the plug on the remainder of my season, as I'm already excited about what possibilities are in store for the 2007 season. I still have the Pinelog race to concentrate on for now, but once that is over I'll take a couple weeks off from structured training, and then around mid Nov. start up again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sean,

I didn't see you at the line yesterday. I was on the front row, left corner. I got the holeshot but only because I was trying to set the pace to be first going down that nasty rooty descent. It did cost me though as the legs were fried from the pre-ride, I had to let a bunch of riders go as soon as the trail headed up. I was able to get my legs back and reeled everyone back exept 1st and 2nd (we sprinted for the line again)I ended up in 3rd. Good job on a good finish. You should consider doing the FSC next year, it is much more competitive than the SERC (SERC sport = FSC beginner, or so they say, we'll see next year). Good luck. See you in sport next year.
Luis

Sean said...

Luis,

Good job on a great result at Tally. You should see me at one or two of the FSC races, for sure. I can't totally rule out the FSC races just yet...well, except for Hanna Park, I can do without that one. Good luck during the rest of the season. See ya in Sport!