Wednesday, October 18, 2006

That's depressing

Hit up the Tuesday Worlds again. This was the second to last one for the year. Cal and I were chatting, and he commented on my new Powertap. He asked me if I was gonna be doing a whole power based training plan, to which I replied, "yep, sure am." Cal proceeds to tell me that he doesn't follow any structured training plan. He'll just go out 3-4 weeks before an event and do some training specific to the needs of the upcoming event.

When he told me that, my first thought was "You suck!" I wanted to push him off his bike.
He's pretty damn fast/strong right now, can you imagine if he followed a structured plan? The dude would be damned near untouchable in competition. If I ever want to throw down with Cal, I better pray that he doesn't start training seriously, othewise I might as well hang it up right now.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Sure, I'm only a Cat. 4 roadie, but during the season and races I have a rule: no computers or monitors of any kind on my bike or body. I find it helps me stay more focused and alert to what my body is really telling me. Maybe that's why my best placing this past season was 14th :)

Either way, the best training advice I've heard was find what works for you and stick with it.

Happy cycling

Sean said...

Yeah...whatever works for you. I'm pretty good at knowing what a given HR feels like, but I don't have Perceived Exertion downpat yet. That's probably why I ponied up for a power meter.:)