Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tuesday Worlds

I was back out on the road for yet another installment of the Tuesday World Championships. I've been learning some things about pacing and riding in a bunch, so I was eager to put it into practice. Not 5 minutes into the ride and a couple of the speed freaks were off the front. That left Cal with our group, and being the only guy capable of driving a pace that could catch the break, he wasn't in any mood to set a pace to reel them in. Needless to say we just let them do their thing. As it turns out, Cal cut his ride short (probably still recovering from the race on Sunday), so that left a group of about 7 or 8 of us.

As I said, I was commited to being more aware of my pacing and certain group tactics, and I did much better this time. Heck, I even attacked a couple times. The first was a full blown sprint up a hill, and the second one was towards the end of the ride. As a result of that attack I ended up winning the sprint...not that it ended up being a sprint.
I took my final pull in the closing mile/s of the ride and I knew that if there was indeed a sprint then I would be at the back, and not in a good position to make a bid for the sprint finish, so I decided to stay in the front and drive the pace. I think the guy behind me got wise to what I was doing and came around me, and the rest of the group followed. I got on the back, and immediately came around the other side and throttled it. I got on top of a tall gear and just concentrated on turning those cranks. I came up even with the leader, and passed him. Someone made an attempt to pass me, but they just couldn't do it...and I held off everyone till the end.

Now, if I did that with the faster guys in attendance, then I'd really have something to brag about. As it is though, it just made me pleased that my legs had that much snap in them after only one day of R&R after the race.

Ride stats:
Time- 1:18
Distance- 32 miles
Avg Speed- 24.3mph
Max speed- 33.5mph

No comments: