Friday, March 09, 2007

I think I'm gonna hurl

I finally got around to those V02 max intervals, and I have to say that the '0' in V02 stands for "OW!" Damn, did those hurt. The interval session was, I admit, an overly aggressive one, but I thought I could pull it off. Unfortunately, I didn't complete the entire workout. The workout was scheduled as follows:

2hrs w/L5 workout
Warm up- 15 min <68% FTP
Blow out effort- 5 min 100%
Recover- 5 min 70%
Intervals, 3 min rest int. 6x3 min 117%
Recover- 10 min 70%
Intervals, 4 min, rest int. 4x2 min 113-120%
Cool-down- 15 min <68%

I needed to do those 3 minute intervals at any wattage over 410 watts. The first interval I averaged 412, and then the next one is what got me into trouble... I was now riding into the wind, and I really overcooked this one. The second interval I averaged 422 watts, with a sustained segment at almost 466 watts. The 3rd and 4th intervals topped out at 406 and 395 respectively. I bailed on the remainder of the intervals, after I couldn't get my wattage up.

On these short intervals there is a real trick to starting just hard enough and finishing strong. If you take too long to get your wattage up then you're not really getting the full effect of the interval, but if you go too hard too soon then you risk blowing up before the 3 minutes is up.

I'll try them again once I come off of next week's R&R week. I'll make sure I'm better rested, and I control my pacing a bit better.

No comments: