Monday, April 09, 2007

Empty tank

I normally like to have Sunday off, so I can enter the new week refreshed and ready to tackle more training. Sometimes though, you've just gotta be willing to go with the flow and accept some changes. So...I rode on Sunday. A 2.5hr ride that was supposed to include a V02max workout. I thought I was fairly well rested after having Saturday off. I entered the first interval and knew that it was gonna be a tough day. I start the 2nd interval and after the opening 30 seconds of it I had to pull the plug, as I had nothing left in the legs. In this particular workout the opening 30 seconds are quite brutal. The plan calls for averaging 200% of your FTP, with a peak of 300% in that opening 30 second sprint (15 of those sec are out of the saddle.). On the second interval I hit the 300% figure, but struggled in the final 15 sec to hit 200%. After the opening sprint, you continue on for 3 minutes at 100% FTP. My second go 'round I had nothing left, the legs were totally lifeless.

What's strange is that I managed to ride for the next 1.5hrs at a low Tempo pace. I guess it was just the intensity that the legs couldn't handle. Ohh well, no big deal.

I've been doing some reading on the subject of mindset/attitude and visualizing and believing in what you want, and that has helped me not get too worked up when a training session goes awry, among other things.

This week is a recovery week of 5hrs, and then it's on to the opening week of my Peak period.

On a side note, I'm gonna hit up a few stages of the Tour De Georgia. Should be cool to see a pro level road race. I can't pass up the opportunity to see a race like that when it's relatively close to home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you already subscribed to the tour? If so, and just in case that you don't save your exercises online, would be nice to salute you as an Urban Sport Guerrillero and see that Tour blinking on the "Guerrilleros In Action" worldmap.

Just mail me if you have further questions,

Carlos
www.endorphinum.de