Saturday, April 28, 2007

Where'd that money go so fast?

No riding today. Instead I took the MTB over to the fine folks at Higher Ground Bicycle Co., in Tallahassee. Since that was where I purchased the bike, I try and take it back there when I need it serviced, although it doesn't always work out like that.
Anyway, I wanted to get the bike looked over, so that I know everything is in order for next weekend. Along with a full tune-up I had them install some Avid Flak Jacket shifter cables. The exposed shifter cables get gunked up something fierce and affects my shifting performance constantly.

It took longer than I expected, but the bike was/is in good working order...a slightly tweaked derailleur cage notwithstanding. I didn't get out of Tally until 4pm, and once I was outside of town I made a quick stop (or so I thought) at a rest area. I come back to the car and...nothing. It wouldn't start. Lights wouldn't come on, radio, nothing. Out comes the AAA card and it would be a total of 2 1/2 hrs before I'd leave that rest area due to a battery that was toast. Ohh, and let's not forget the fact that I left there with $122 less than I arrived with. It ended up being quite an expensive trip; $90 for the bike tune-up/cable installation, $122 for a battery, and fuel costs...and I don't really have anything to show for it.
On the plus side I did finalize plans to race this season in Higher Ground colors, so it certainly wasn't a total loss. Just expensive, that's all.

No comments: