Monday, June 04, 2007

Bump n Grind, or Bumps n Bruises: Race Report

After my DNF a month ago, I was looking forward to a good, solid race. I've heard about the awesome trails at Oak Mtn, just outside of Birmingham, Al but I've never ridden there...until now. The local club, BUMP(Birmingham Urban Mtn Pedalers), have been putting on the BUMP-n-Grind for 13 years. With such a long standing history, I expected a good race that was well organized. I wasn't disappointed.

Saturday afternoon I gave the course a pre ride. I originally thought of doing 2 laps, but since the course is 17 miles, I didn't want to overdo it and tire myself out.


Instead of riding multiple laps, I figured I'd re ride the difficult parts. The most techy section of the course is the infamous "Blood Rock".


I made 3 attempts at it, and never did clean the whole section. My most successful attempt/s came after I stiffened up my suspension. My first attempt felt like I was going down on a pogo stick. Once I changed the suspension settings (which is how I ran my suspension for the race the next day) it made things much more controlled.
I was told that many times someone in front of you blows it and you end up walking down it anyway, so I decided that discretion was indeed the better part of valor. I love mtn bike racing, but I have a life outside it, and a broken collarbone doesn't fit into my larger life plans.


Coming around that tree(in the middle of the image) is the tricky part. If you can get around it, you're essentially home free.


I felt good about the course, and my chances for success. The bike was dialed in, and I felt good, all I needed to do was relax and get ready to throw down the next morning.

The plan was to get to the park around 8:30, so I could finally get in a proper warm-up. A solid warm-up routine has been problematic for me in the past, and I think it has affected me some. This time I was gonna get a good warm-up in if it was the last thing I did.


I didn't get to the park as early as I wanted, and with trying to get water bottles filled and other million little things you have to do before a race, I started to doubt whether I was going to get the full warm up I wanted/needed to do. Just after 9am I grabbed the road bike and headed out for that all important warm-up. Keep in mind, my race was due to start at 9:58.
I got the warm up in like I wanted, but it almost made me late for my race...which would've really steamed my clams.


I got back to the car with about 10 minutes to go before my race. I had a race before the race, trying to get my race helmet, gloves, change shoes, grab my bike and go to the bathroom in time. I rolled up to the start line with only a couple minutes to spare.
When I started my HR monitor, I expected my HR to be quite high, with trying to rush to get to the line and stressing over potentially missing my race, but all was well.
From the start line, the course weaves thru the trees and sidewalks adjacent to the lake, before heading down road to the entrance to the singletrack. There was plenty of room for the group to thin out before hitting the tight twisty stuff, or so I thought.
I'm sitting at the back end of the second row, so getting out front at the start was not an issue. The horn sounds and I give it my best sprinting impression. Now, don't ask me what place I was in at this time, as I have no clue. I'm thinking midpack at this point. The ground was really dry, and this opening part of the race was dusty, with a capital 'D'. As we get closer to the trail entrance, I pass a rider here and there, but no major shake-ups in the placings. My position wouldn't change much until the first section of doubletrack, where passing is easy. Even then I only gain a couple spots. I expected the big shake-up to come on the long climb.
I was really surprised at how the group stayed together for most of the race. I've never encountered a race situation like that before. In past races, not long after the race starts you're practically riding by yourself. Not here though.
As the race progressed, more and more riders were dropping off the pace, and we weren't even to the climb yet. I was now feeling really good about my chances of climbing up some spots on the climb.
Exiting the singletrack onto the second jeep road signified that the climb was upon us. This climb is a kick in the pants. It's not particularly steep (although it does have some steep sections), but it is just long, long, long. Almost immediately, riders were put into difficulty and fell off the pace. Because there were so many different groups on the course it was almost impossible to tell if you were passing your class, or another. I had the strategy of passing everyone I could.
About 10 minutes into the climb I almost met with disaster. I was coming up on a guy and he had someone passing him on his right, so I decided to pass on his left. Passing on the left meant that I was near the edge of a drop off. As I came along side this guy, another rider started passing on his right, and the guy moved towards me to let the other guy pass. We tangle handlebars and I'm the one that goes down...almost going over the side in the process. No harm was done, but it could've ruined my race. It was my fault, as I should've said that I was passing. I'm back on my bike and I manage to reel back those who got past me when I went down.

On the climb, BUMP had set up a neutral feed zone, where volunteers were giving out bottles of gatorade, and spraying water on racers backs. Let me tell you, that was most welcome...especially the spray of cool water on my back!
I was still surprised at the 'train' or riders on the climb. As far as I could see, there were riders spread out on the climb, and we all had one thing in common, we were all suffering.
I hit the crest of the climb, and that is where things finally thinned out. The trail follows the ridgeline of the mtn, and I rode for quite a bit without seeing another rider. I put it in the big ring and hammered it, and I started reeling in some folks. A volunteer waving me towards the singletrack entrance signified that Blood Rock was not far away. I'm zoomin' right now and the adrenaline is pumping. How will I do on the rock? A guy has caught up to me and follows close behind as I start down Blood Rock. I get down the first few sections just fine, but as I have to make that right turn I cut it to close and have to unclip. Dammit! Almost had it! I run down the rest, and hop back on the bike. The next section is a rock filled fast descent. I bombed down it for all I was worth. I hit a max speed of 30mph on that section. Mucho fun, even if I was hanging on for life.

The next few miles go by without any drama. I come across some riders who are from other classes once in a while, but for the most part I'm riding by myself. I'm probably about a mile and a half from the end and I wash out in a corner and cut my left knee up pretty good. As I'm getting back on my bike I'm feeling the twinges of a cramp, but as I start pedaling it passes. Whew, that was close.

The "1 mile to go" marker was a most welcomed sight. The pain in my left knee was starting to affect my power, but I wasn't about to lay down now. I was this close and I wasn't gonna let anyone pass me.

I exit the singletrack for the final time and in an effort to get the best possible time I can, I sprint for the finish line...at which time I cramped up. It didn't hit me until I stopped pedaling and tried to sit back down. The legs totally locked up. Fortunately, pedaling eased it up.


I was totally spent afterwards. For not being an overly tough course, that has to be the hardest/most intense mtn bike race I've ever been in.
Race results take some time to get posted, but I feel that I did pretty darn good and no matter what my placing is I'm happy with my race. I raced my best, and I left it all out on the course. It was a 100% effort.

When the results were finally posted, my effort was good for 7th place. My time was like 1:17. I really wanted a top 5 result, but I'm very pleased with my performance. There were probably 25-30 in my class, so my placing was better than mid pack.

I made a visit to the Aid Station to get my knee cleaned up, and I was amazed at the number of people with injuries. Mostly scrapes and cuts (and oddly, quite a few people had banged up the left knee, just like I did), but ambulances made two trips to the hospital, and at least one rider was being brought down with a suspected broken arm and that would've made a 3rd hospital run. There may have been more. I guess that it was because of the ground being so dry which made things kinda slippery in the corners.

My BUMP-N-Grind souvenir

After I nurse my wounds, it will be back to the training grind for my next races in July.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice write-up! I could feel the intensity that you must have put into the race. That was one hot and humid day. 1:17 is a very respectable time all things considered. Congrats on your 7th place finish. Kev