Monday, May 16, 2005

Full suspension. It's the cat's meow.

My patience paid off. The weather Gods cooperated, and I got to take the new bike for a shakedown cruise.

The big question, or questions... how was it? was it worth the wait/money? are you glad you got it?
Let me start by saying that after today's ride, I have scheduled an appointment with a plastic surgeon. No, I didn't suffer some disfiguring injuries. The appointment is to get this smile removed.

Seriously though, allow me to expound on the details of the ride.

I didn't get a long ride in, but it was eye opening to say the least, an epiphany of sorts. Where I noticed the advantages of the suspension the most, was on a sandy, root infested descent. On the hardtail I could get some speed up, but I had to keep it in check, lest the roots bounce me right off the bike. Today, I bombed down that trail, with a sense of confidence as if I'd been riding this bike for years. The speed I was able to carry down the trail, due to the suspension eating up the bumps, was incredible. Keep in mind that I was being a little cautious. I know it's a mtn bike, and it's gonna get scratched...but sue me if I want to keep it in good shape for a little while anyway.
Where was I? Ohh yeah, the trail. I expected full suspension to offer some immediate noticeable differences, but this was way more than I could've imagined.
I've talked with a couple of Blur owners, and they've each commented on how much they wrecked, going from hardtails to the F/S Blur. As I mentioned a moment ago, I was being cautious, but I was still expecting some slips ups, close calls, or just plain goofs, due to the combination of suspension and the overall handling of the bike. As it was, I didn't have any problems whatsoever. It was as if I'd been riding the bike for ages.

The last thing I'm gonna talk about right now are the tires. The Kenda Nevegal's are perfect for our trail conditions. It was like riding on a friggin' rail! They do have one down side...but I'm not sure if it's the tread pattern that is the culprit, the bigger tire, or a combination of the two. The problem is slinging sand/debris. The front tire was kicking up so much sand, my legs were coated. Not to mention, there's sand in every nook and cranny of my bike. I spent 2 hrs getting sand off it, and I still haven't touched the drivetrain. I hope that sludge Shimano uses wears off soon. I dread the thought of having to battle this problem after every ride. Eek!

The bottom line. I love it! I'm glad I got it! It was worth it!

No comments: