Saturday, May 21, 2005

I'm expanding my horizons...

That's right...I'm expanding my horizons. But don't worry, it doesn't mean that I purchased the latest 50 Cent CD, or that I started putting mayonnaise on my sandwiches. Nope. I'm talking about expanding my biking horizons. I decided it was high time I sample the trails other than my local ones.

I had to go to Tallahassee to have the shop give the bike the once over, and I decided to take the opportunity to do some riding while I was there. Originally, the shop was gonna hook me up with a local so I'd get to ride the best trails. Well, everybody had other commitments. Likely excuse. They probably didn't want to hang with a tourist. Fine. I'll go by myself. That's exactly what I did. Got directions and off I went. The trails are located in Tom Brown Park, a park run by the city of Tallahassee. It's a very well thought out park. They've got ballparks, a BMX track, an R/C track, just to name a few. The trails are a nice mixture of mild to wild. The trails are well marked for difficulty level. Difficulty doesn't come close to describing some of the stuff I saw... descents that take some serious brass to ride. Lots of roots, making for a fairly technical set of trails.
There were some nice fast, twisty sections that made letting off the brakes and riding with the flow an absolute blast! Combine that with a variety of terrain, and those trails make for some "not to be missed" riding.
There is one downside. There are alot of trails that are not marked on the map, and it makes for a veritable web of trails, which is not easy for the first timer to go in and find there way back without just retracing their steps.

Two big thumbs up for Tom Brown Park. I'll be going back, that's for sure.

No comments: