Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Ups and downs

This past week and a half has been full of ups and downs. Weather, namely wind, prevented me from getting some of my vital road miles in, and eventually necessitated me restarting my Build 1 phase. Sunday I was planning on getting one last attempt at getting some good road miles in, but for reasons too numerous to list, I ended up hitting the trails. Of course, having some "downs" are can be made bearable by having a corresponding "up". Check this out...

For the first time since I've been riding on these trails I cracked the mythical 13mph average mark. At one point during the ride my average was as high as 13.6mph. The great thing is, I wasn't even trying to go for a personal best. I was just out with the plan of getting a good, continuous time(no stopping) on the bike. It wasn't till about the midway point that I realized I was riding at such a pace. The discovery came after a couple of wipeouts in corners. The first slide out in a corner had me thinking I used a little too much body english, the second one had me scratching my head. Right after that is when I took notice of my avg speed, then it hit me(lightbulbs turn on, fireworks go off, the skies part)...Aha! I was going too fast for the corners. So, not a bad discovery, especially in light of how the week had been going.

That brings us to the current week. My sinuses have been messing with me (damned pollen!), so I just didn't have the desire/energy to ride on Monday. Tuesday came and I was all set to get back out on the road, and start up my intervals again...except that I had a 20mph N wind goin' on. Back to the mtn bike and the trails. *Sigh. The good news is that despite not feeling 100%, I still managed a 12.9mph average speed out there.

Today is a new day, and by God I'm gonna get out and do my intervals even if it hairlips Lance Armstrong.

Ohh yeah...congrats to Floyd Landis. He's won Paris-Nice (I know, it's kinda old news, so sue me!)! Couple that with his win at the Tour of California, and Floyd's lookin' very good for this season.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Hi. Greetings. This post is really good and blog is really interesting. It gives good details.


Tires Florida