Sunday, March 19, 2006

Time Trial #2

Today was the second of three mtn bike TT's. The first time around, I completed the 4.62 mile course in 23:08. I was hoping I could shave some more time off and get in under 23 minutes. My specific goal was 22:50. I've been battling some allergy related congestion and sniffles, so I was concerned how that might affect my performance today.
I started the TT feeling pretty good. I got a good start and found my rhythm early on. But once I started hitting the climbs and pushed my HR closer to my threshold, that's when some problems developed. Trying to take some deep breaths I'd hear my chest rattling, and that would make me cough some. In order to get some much needed air into my lungs, it caused me on a couple of occasions to back off ever so slightly. I just knew that those moments of easing off my pace was gonna cost me a good time. I was certain I was gonna be slower than the first time. Giving in wasn't an option. I kept pushing myself, trying to get some breaths without breathing so deep that it brought on coughing.
I come off of "Carbo", turn left onto "Speed Demon", get in the big chainring and I turn those cranks for all I'm worth. I make it across the finish line and turn to hear the bad news. Surprisingly, there wasn't any bad news. My time was 22:54. Backing off those couple times cost me some precious seconds...I'm sure I could've shaved another 10 seconds off that time had I been totally healthy.

14 seconds faster than last month. I can live with that. In April I'd like to aim for a time of 22:15, or thereabouts.

No comments: