Friday, May 26, 2006

I love it when a plan comes together

As of Sunday I'll have two weeks till the Sugar Mtn race. I should be down to my goal weight of 185lbs by June 1st, and my training is coming along well. It could probably be a bit better, but all things considered I'm fairly happy with my progress. I'll have some days of training at altitude prior to the race which will be very welcomed, and it'll give me a chance to do a few real climbing workouts.

I'm really obsessing over my climbing, as I feel that this race will be won or lost on the climb/s. If you're not in the position you want to be by the time the course descends you are SOL...barring someone wadding it up, or you being close enough for a sprint win.

USA Cycling
has unveiled yet another incentive program. It's great that they are doing some things to help American riders compete in the international arena, but I'm wondering why they haven't done this sooner. It appears to me that in the past they've put more resources into the junior development program/s. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for doing all we can to groom the next generation of American cyclists... but why focus so much of your limited resources on the next generation of cyclists, when there are established riders (pros) who could benefit greatly from the total backing of USA Cycling. Just look at our pros who try their best to compete on equal footing at the World Cup events. It's like the old saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
We invented the sport of mtn biking, and there's no reason why our athletes can't be more of a force at the World Cups. Good solid support is a necessary ingredient for their success.



No comments: