Thursday, May 18, 2006

Workin' it

Yesterday, I actually managed to get 2hrs of saddle time in. Even managed to throw in some Power Intervals. What are the chances of that, huh? I'm really pleased with the way my training is going. I'll be ready for Sugar Mtn...or at least as ready as I can be.

Since this race will involve more climbing than I've ever done, I'm doing all I can to minimize the disadvantage I am at since I live at sea level. I'm trying to take a little weight off my bike, it's not gonna be a lot, but every little bit helps.

My first alteration was my grips. I was using ODI lock ons, and while they're super comfy grips, they are on the portly side. I went the bar tape route and I'm pleased with how they turned out. This evening I'll be trying them for the first time.


Next up, are some exception series Maxxis Crossmarks. I have the UST version, and I'll lose some grams switching to the exception style. These will be race tires only though. As soon as the race is over, the USTs will be going back on the bike.

Between the grips and the tires, I'll be dropping a pound off the bike. Like I said, it's not a lot, but I'll take what I can get. Fortunately, the biggest weight savings I'll get is also at the most important place to get it from, and that's at the wheels. The whole physics, rotating weight thing.

No comments: