Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Here's an idea

For anyone who's read this blog for any length of time knows, I'm not in a part of the country that is blessed, or cursed depending on your point of view, with much elevation change. I've not been able to put a decent climbing workout together since I started training.
I had something of an epiphany, and I've come up with my own way to add climbing workouts into my training. This will by no means be as good as having a nice long climb to do intervals on, but it's all I got. My plan is to attack on every climb, be it on the road or out on the trails. The moment the road or trail goes up, I'm gonna kick it into high gear and make it my goal to get to the top of the climb as fast as I can. Why am I doing this now? I've been thinking about the upcoming NORBA race in Sugar Mtn, and to a lesser extent, the Nat'l Championships, and both of those races will have more elevation gain than I've ever done in a race...and I will win or lose those races on the climbs. I think it goes without saying that I don't really want to lose, so I'm doin' what I can to work on building my climbing ability. I think I'm already pretty decent at climbing, but if I can put the hurt on my fellow competitors and at the same time survive the climbing assaults then I'll be putting myself in a much better position as the finish line nears.

No comments: