Sunday, February 19, 2006

Time trial

I woke up this morning to chilly 41 degree temperatures. It's a good thing this TT was being done in the woods and not out on the road. This TT was over a 4.62 mile course. The competitors were going at 2 minute intervals, and I was the second to the last person to go. I didn't want to go too hard too early, so I made a concerted effort to pace my efforts for the first 10 or so minutes...long enough to get into a rhythm. At around the 10-12min mark I caught, and passed the person who went before me. I kept a good, strong pace and finished with a time of 23:08. Looking back, there were places that I could've stepped up the pace, but I'm pleased with this effort. In the end I had the second fastest time of the day. The guy with the fastest time is the Florida State Champion Time Trialist 40+ age group, and expert class mtn bike racer. I was 41 seconds off his time. Maybe he was holding back some, maybe not...either way, I'm quite pleased with the results. This TT was for fun, but it's more proof that I'm on the right track with my training.

There will be another one of these in March, and in April. I'm hoping I can get my time down to around 22:50 by the March TT.

I was planning on hitting the road this afternoon, but between the weather and the fact that my legs are not feeling really snappy after that effort, I think I'm just gonna chill out. Tomorrow I'll pick it up. This will be my last full week of base.

No comments: