Friday, January 20, 2006

Want to buy: Mtn for climbing intervals

I just want to do some good big gear intervals, is that too much to ask? I have had nothing but trouble, trying to do these friggin' intervals! As I previously wrote about, I have to get a running start so I can get my HR up and get it into the proper zone once I hit the climb. When I first started doing these, I found that if I hit 169-170bpm by the time I hit the base of the hill, I could finish the interval with my HR around 175-177bpm. Well, yesterday I would start the interval with my HR in the neighborhood of 169-171bpm and I only got over 174bpm one time. My heart rate would only climb 3 or 4 beats at best before I crested the hill.
To be honest, I'm not sure why either. Having only done big gear intervals 3 or 4 times so far, I wouldn't chalk it up to getting stronger, not in that short amount of time. But I can't really say why it is.
I have a couple ideas I'm gonna experiment with the next time I do these intervals. Maybe I'll find something that works, otherwise I'll have to look at an alternative exercise.


On a side note, I've decided to do the Endurance 100
in Utah. I'll be sending in my registration in the coming week. Some people might be wondering why a relative newcomer to racing would want to attempt a race like the E100... I'm doing it to test myself. I'm not looking to stand on the podium, but I just want to finish it, and not finish dead last. Considering that in September of '04 I weighed 310lbs and was in no condition to do ANY racing, much less a 100 mile race, and then less than 2yrs later compete and finish a 100 mile race... that would/will be a major victory for me.

No comments: