Sunday, August 06, 2006

It's a boy!

After much waiting and anticipation, today I finally picked up my new road bike. I haven't taken it for a spin yet, but that will happen tomorrow. It's a well spec'd bike, although I see that tires, wheels, and brakes will be the first upgrades on the list. Actually, I think if I were to address those items, nothing else would need to be switched out. I was quite surprised to see an Ultegra F derailleur on there. On every spec list I've seen, a 105 FD was listed. I don't know where the change came about, but I won't complain any.

I'll update again once I've ridden the bike, and I'll have a photo or two to post too.

On a related note, Floyd Landis' 'B' sample came back positive (nobody in the Landis camp expected any differently). Now it looks like there will be 3-6 months of arbitration before this whole thing is settled. Regardless of how this all turns out (I still believe Landis at this point), one thing is for certain...the UCI has really botched this whole thing. It appears to me that they are more interested in covering their collective butts, than "protecting the image of the sport". First, they announce that a rider had an "adverse analytical reading" in their 'A' sample, the UCI pushes to get the 'B' sample tested, seemingly going around Landis in the process, and then someone in the UCI leaked to the NY Times that some of the testosterone found in Landis' 'A' sample was synthetic. I think the UCI is just going out of their way to make sure no one can accuse them of being complacent in the face of all the doping going on.
If you take everything the UCI has done, and couple that with the fact that the lab doing the testing has had some ethically questionable dealings in the past, and if this were a criminal case, it would probably be thrown out of court.

By the time the arbitration is over, I don't think anyone is gonna care if Landis doped or not, or care if he even won to begin with.
And THAT is what will hurt the sport of cycling more than anything.

No comments: