Saturday, April 29, 2006

Change happens

Since learning of the Nat'l Championships in Mammoth I've started re-evaluating my immediate racing plans. The 12hr race was something new for me, and I was entering it mainly as a self test...to see what I was capable of. I have no illusions about my chances of being competitive in this race, I'm just to new at this type of event to do anything more than finish it (which was my only goal for the event anyway). Also, it was to be a an early season barometer of my chances of doing the E100. About 3 weeks after the 12 Hrs of Tsali is the NORBA race in Sugar Mtn, which is my first 'A' race of the year...a race I want to be competitive in.

So why do I mention all this? Because I am this [*] close to pulling the plug on the 12hr race. Since a 12hr race is a totally different animal than a XC race, I think with the events being so close together it would adversely affect my training for Sugar Mtn. After being on the bike for 12hrs I would be in no position to do any serious training for close to a week (maybe if I had more of those events under my belt it'd be different) after, and that would leave only 2 weeks to prep for Sugar Mtn.
Unless I discover a good reason to do the 12hr event then my mind is made up...I save myself for the NORBA event.

Speaking of training, yesterday I had one of the best days of training I've had in a long time. It was a good, hard, but productive session. I wish every day was like that. I hope I can get a decent day in today. We're under a wind advisory, so that doesn't bode well for getting out on the road. If I go it'll be a sufferfest, I can feel it. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, rain, rain so I might just have to suffer today.

No comments: