Monday, January 09, 2006

Base 2: The Sequel

My second Base period started today. After that high intensity group ride yesterday, I kept it low key today, and did an hour. Included in that hour was 20 min. of Tempo. Tempo rides are done at a bit higher HR, higher than a standard endurance pace ride. For me, that translates to a HR between 156-162bpm. I'm glad to be getting into some different exercises within a given workout period. Along with the Tempo rides this week, I'm supposed to do some big gear climbs...and I'm not sure how effectively I can do them. I'm from "F is for Flat" Florida, and we're not blessed with many places to do any kind of climbing training. Granted, we've got a bit more elevation than my Southerly neighbors but that's of little consolation.


The exercise calls for a steep grade (8% or more) *that's problem one
!, that takes one to two minutes to climb *that's problem two. Get in 6-30 minutes of climbing within a workout. Our "climbs" should probably be labeled "rises in elevation."


The route I take has some elevation gain, and the two longest "climbs" take probably 45sec-1min max, depending on how much speed you carry into it, or if you have a headwind/tailwind.

I HAVE to get some Force exercises in, so I'm either going to have to 'big gear' it no matter how big or small the climb, or do repeats on one particular climb. I might try both methods this week, and see which one I like better...not that I'm gonna enjoy either one.

No comments: