Saturday, January 28, 2006

Humans...we're a curious lot

Humans are indeed a curious bunch. We have a dark side, but we are at our best when we are trying to push the limits of what is possible.
That can be especially true when you are talking about pushing the limits of human endurance. You don't have to look far to see instances of people pushing themselves practically to the breaking point, and in some cases, beyond the breaking point.

An event/race can be gruelling, leaving you physically and mentally wiped out, but yet, people will return to compete again, or to climb another mountain, etc. What is it that drives people to go back for more pain and punishment? I believe that the pain and punishment is part of the equation. You are testing yourself, suffering, and at the end you emerge... having beaten the suffering. Today, I was suffering with a headwind (my personal nemesis) and I was having thoughts of turning in my road tires to pursue my training on the trails, but no sooner had I finished my ride and started the drive home, than I was already thinking of the next day's riding. During the ride I was ready to throw in the towel, but once I got done I had a totally different outlook than I had 20 minutes earlier.

There's the old saying, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". While I would like to find the person who coined that phrase, and slap them, there are many times when that saying does in fact ring very true.

No comments: