Sunday, January 01, 2006

Last ride of '05

What better way to end 2005, than with a nice long base ride. My training schedule called for 3hrs today, and to make sure I didn't spend the entire day out on some non descript military road, I planned to get my ride in early in the day. Getting up at 6:30am is quite the feat for me, but doggone it, I did it. I went to fix some breakfast and took a peek outside and saw... nothing. Of all days for it to be foggy.

I'm nervous about riding on the road anyway, and the idea of being out there in less than good conditions didn't seem to be a good idea. I'll speed up the narrative a bit...I finally hopped on the bike at 8:30am, and even then it was still foggy as hell. It made for a real soggy ride. It was a good ride though. It's the farthest and longest I've ridden/been on a bike at one time. 52 miles ridden with an average of 18mph, in 3hrs.
I didn't realize how hard it'd be to accumulate 3hrs, but parts of the road on the military land are in a, how do I put it...a state of disrepair. I could only manage about 30 minutes on that section, it was like riding a pogo stick. I couldn't imagine trying to ride over the cobblestones in the Paris-Roubaix. I thought my kidneys were gonna vibrate loose.

Good ride though. Gotta put in 2 more hrs tomorrow. Here's hoping the weather holds out.

No comments: