Monday, January 23, 2006

Finding time

Yesterday finished up my required hours for the week, but it left me wondering...As I mentioned yesterday, I had plenty of time to "wonder" about things.

Besides wondering why I go thru this much trouble, I got to thinking about how hard it is to get even a small number of hours in, consistently. This year, my weekly hours will not go over 11.5 on any given week. Now, compared to expert and pro level riders, that number of hours is measly. It's not hard to imagine that a pro can/does have time to fit in their necessary training time...they're getting paid (more or less) to ride their bike. But for everyone else...how do you do it? I'm single, and I couldn't imagine jockeying family and training. All I really have to worry about is work, and that's more than enough to cause me grief in trying to get my necessary ride time in.

If you've got a family and still have time to train, I take my hat off to you. Hell, if you have a day job and train more than 13-14 hrs per week, you deserve some credit!

That's enough for now. Got things to do and people to annoy. Tomorrow training will resume, for now...recovery.

2 comments:

Jill Homer said...

I've never had a rigid training schedule, but I do have a friend who trains for Ironmans and treats in like a second job. Every day, he has a set time he has to be at "work" and leaves whatever he's doing to get there. If you ask me, that dosen't really sound like that much fun. Might as well just get a second job.

Sean said...

I have questioned the rigidity of my training, and I don't put in that many hours. To keep from going nuts I've missed a day of training here and there in lieu of a fun mtn bike ride with friends. If it ain't fun, I won't be able to stick with it.