Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cobwebs

I'm close to wrapping up my first week of Build 1, and it has been a rude awakening. I learned really fast that I was a little rusty when it came to sustained high intensity workouts. Doin' nothing but endurance pace over the last 2.5 months really made this opening Build week a kick in the balls.
I managed some good tempo work, and today I did some sub threshold intervals. The sub threshold workout called for the following:
Warm-up- 15 min @ <68% of FTP
Blowout effort- 5 min @ 100%
Easy pace- 5 min @ <68%
Ride- 2 x 20 min w/10-15min recovery(@<76%) between sets @ 96-105%

I completed the first interval with no problems, but by the time I started that second set I couldn't generate the power to get my watts to the prescribed level. I needed to do the interval at a minimum of 333 watts, but by 13 min in I still was only at 308. I shut it down at that point, because there was nothing to be gained by completing the interval at a lower power...that said, something inside me said I shouldn't quit and man up and complete the workout. For almost a minute I waffled back and forth on whether I should complete the 20 minutes, but in the end common sense won out and I throttled back.

Friday will be a recovery ride, and then on Saturday I'll wrap up the week with a 3hr ride with the club.

As my form comes back I'll be looking forward to these workouts getting better and better. Easier would be nice too, but if your training is getting easy then you must be doing something wrong, or not enough of it.




No comments: