Saturday, February 24, 2007

Coconut, it does the body good

I've tried several different sports drinks, starting with Powerbar Endurance, Hammer HEED, and finally Cytomax. I've been using Cytomax for the longest. The taste isn't offensive to me and it seems to work. But I'm always on the look out for something better; better taste, better electrolyte profile, etc.

A couple of years ago I read about the benefits of coconut water from the folks at ZICO. I was quite intrigued, but since no one in my area even heard of coconut water, much less carried it, I just filed the whole thing away. Well, today I was in our new Fresh Market, and I was browsing their cooler section, and what do I find? ZICO coconut water. I bought two containers of it, and I'll be using it next week. I hope it doesn't taste like crap, because I am impressed with it's nutrients. It has 5 electrolytes, including 670 mg of potassium. That's more than what is found in a banana! It even has some protein (albeit a tiny bit-1mg). All that in an 11oz container.


If it is as good as I think it's gonna be, then I've found my new sports drink.

No comments: