Wednesday, February 14, 2007

If there's nothing to write, is it still a blog?

I've been kinda quiet the last couple of days, as there wasn't a lot to talk about. Being a recovery week I've only done 2hrs since Monday, and 1 of those hrs I did today. So, as I said, not much worth talking about training wise.

So, if I don't really have anything to say, why am blogging about it? I think it takes true talent to have nothing to say, but still be able to write about it anyway. Don't believe me? Just read the paper or listen to a politician talk.

In the interest of actually having something worthwhile to discuss...
I've been thinking about USA Cycling's '07 MTB National Racing Calendar. They say that the calendar is to give much deserved recognition to the organizers/promoters that put on some great events. Recognition is good, but are they really gonna get more participation now than they did in the past? I don't think the Bump n Grind needs to be part of the NRC to garner attention, they're doing great anyway. I would think that many events are in the same boat. The only thing I think they're hoping for is that this will now attract more pros since there are UCI points and series points available.
But is this new format really gonna attract the top athletes? Unless a pro lives near one of these races, he/she is gonna be hard pressed to take the time/energy to race there.

They're gonna be doing the NMBS races (the events formerly known as NORBA's) and the UCI World Cups, so why risk your fitness or valuable time to gain a few points? Not to mention, there won't be lots of competition for the pros at these smaller events. Even with the Semi pros or neo pros, it'd be like a top expert competing in the sport class.


I just don't see many top level pros entering these smaller races. They have too much to lose(no support, very few points, limited competition). Maybe I'm wrong..I kinda hope I am wrong. I'd love to see US mtn biking get a real shot in the arm. If it helps us compete on the international level then it's for the best.

What do you know, I really did have something to write about. Will miracles never cease.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude,
Every racer and their mother in the southeast (and beyond) will be at the 12 Hours of Razorback this weekend! Come on down...